Friday, July 16, 2010

Topic Proposal


The topic I think I will research will be feminism though-out the later part of the 20th century.

My main question from this text is what drove Margret Atwood to write it? What is the underlying current? I kind of think the book is a nightmare of hers’. That’s another thing I would like to explore. What was her role in the feminist movement, if any at all? Really I just can’t understand what spurred her to write such a depressing story about the violation of a group of peoples most basic rights of life.

I hope that doing the research paper on this topic will help me understand Atwood’s motives in writing it. Through understanding her motives I will learn more about what the story is really about. I can get what is on the surface of the story easily enough. I guess I just want a deeper understanding.

The story is the polar opposite of everything the feminist movement strove to achieve as far as my knowledge of it goes. I want to learn about the reactions of organized religions to the movement. What inspiration did Atwood draw from real events that surrounded her? Did she see this as a possibility?

It will be a tall order to get all the answers from a paper on one subject, but I think that this subject will answer the greatest number of my questions. I will focus on the feminist movement, but also try to find Atwood’s place within it if she did participate in it at all. I find it hard to believe she wrote the book without feeling real concern that it could happen. The story is to stark, to vivid for it to just be another story.


Link to Image: This is a feminist site, so be warned if you don't want to see it don't click it.

No comments:

Post a Comment